A natural gas explosion destroyed an Akron home Saturday night.
Akron firefighters responded to a house fire in the 500 block of Anderson Avenue around 8 p.m.
Captain Al Bragg said fire crews found the home fully engulfed in flames with evidence that the fire started from an explosion.
A natural gas leak above a basement dryer caused the fire, according to the Akron Fire Department.
"It found an ignition source in the kitchen that led to the explosion," said Bragg.
No one was injured in the fire. Officials determined the house was a total loss valued at $60,000.
View Larger Map
This could be a busy weekend for firefighters.
Akron Fire Capt. Al Bragg says firefighters across the state responded to about 80 fires per day from December 24 through December 26 last year.
"We need to make sure that we never leave our cooking unattended - it is the number one cause of fire and those fires injure more people than any other type fire and kill the second most number of people," said Bragg.
Bragg says live Christmas trees are always a fire hazard, but he says that's about all they are after two weeks, despite whatever the tree farmer said about how they last several weeks.
"Unfortunately, some people have put up trees right after Thanksgiving, so now we're beyond that two week period and those trees are very dangerous," said Bragg.
Bragg also recommends using a "three feet rule," not allowing any source of fire, including a fireplace, lit candle or space heater, within three feet of anything flammable, including the tree and gifts/gift wrap.
An Akron resident and a pet were both killed in a fire Thursday morning.
Akron Fire Captain Al Bragg tells AkronNewsNow.com it's the city's second fatality from a fire within a week.
The Summit County Medical Examiner's Office reports the victim of the morning blaze was Leigh A. Lewis, 47, of the same address. Lewis was recovered from her second-floor apartment unresponsive, and was declared dead at Akron City hospital at 7:20 a.m.
The fire ignited at 6:45 a.m. at 1924 Newton Street. A cause is not known and Bragg said he's not aware if the residence had any working smoke detectors.
"We're looking into it and hopefully we'll be able to determine something before too long," he said.
Follow AkronNewsNow.com for more information as details become available.
A man was killed and another person was injured in an early morning fire in Akron.
The Summit County Medical Examiner's office reported this afternoon the victim was Rodney Leon Dowdy, 53, from Golda Place in Akron.
Firefighters arrived at the scene just after 3:00 a.m. to find the house fully engulfed in flames and a woman out on a porch roof waiting to be rescued. Firefighters were able to rescue the woman, who told them there was someone else inside.
"Due to the heavy flames, it was very difficult, but eventually they were able to find a male on the second floor, in a second floor bedroom," said Akron Fire Captain Al Bragg. "Unfortunately, he did not survive the fire."
The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
Bragg says there was no electricity to the house and the residents were using candles for light. He says firefighters believe the candles or careless smoking may have caused the fatal blaze. The house and contents are considered a complete loss, totaling an estimated $40,000.
Bragg also says there were no working smoke detectors inside the house.
"Smoke alarms are proven to double your chances of surviving a fire," said Bragg.
This marks the second time in less than a week that people were injured or killed in a fire at a house without a smoke detector in Akron.
Bragg says homeowners who need assistance obtaining and installing a smoke detector should call the Akron Fire Department at 330.375.2211.
Copyright © 2013 AkronNewsNow & Rubber City Radio Group |All Rights Reserved | 1795 West Market Street | Akron, OH 44313 | 330.869.9800