Akron Children's Hospital has been ranked among the nation's best hospitals for child care, according to the rankings released by the U.S. News and World Report.
Akron Children’s was ranked in the top 50 in all seven of the specialties that were included in the reports. The hospital ranks 22nd on the list in orthopedics which moved up 13 spots from last year.
In Cleveland, Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital ranked 2nd in neonatology and 7th in pulmonolgy. Children's Hospital Cleveland Clinic ranked 8th in neurology and neurosurgery.
Akron Children’s Hospital has been ranked in seven pediatric specialties in U.S. News & World Report’s 2013-14 Best Children’s Hospitals rankings, available online today at www.usnews.com/childrenshospitals.
Akron Children’s was ranked:
22 in orthopedics
26 in cancer
28 in neurology & neurosurgery
29 in pulmonology
31 in urology
32 in diabetes and endocrinology
37 in nephrology
“To be ranked alongside the best children’s hospitals in the country is really a testament to our pediatric specialists and the work they do every day in caring for our patients,” said Shawn Lyden, executive vice president. “Through their superb clinical care, research and work in educating future doctors, they have really put us on the map.”
A highlight of this year’s rankings was seeing Akron Children’s orthopedics program move up 13 spots to reach 22nd place.
“This is a great honor and I credit our higher ranking with the super specialization we have achieved in recent years,” said Kerwyn Jones, MD, chairman of the Department of Orthopedics. “Specialization has allowed us to achieve higher quality for the patient and a greater research interest level for the surgeon.”
Dr. Jones and his seven fellow pediatric orthopedic surgeons have become known for their expertise in such areas as surgery of the spine, back, hips, feet, arms and knees. As they have focused their practices in these areas, they have been able to delve into clinical and basic science research, study best practices, and present and publish their findings for peer review.
The department has the expertise to treat issues ranging from common fractures to sports-related and traumatic injuries, as well as highly specialized orthopedic concerns such as early onset scoliosis, brachial plexus injuries, ACL tears, spina bifida, skeletal dysplasia, limb lengthening, and hip reconstruction.
Akron Children’s also saw its neurology and neurosurgery and childhood cancer and blood disorder programs each move up nine places to 28 and 26 place, respectively.
“Our goal is simply to be the best we can be for the children of our region,” said Lyden. ”Our growth, our quality and safety initiatives, and our desire to recruit top medical talent all come back to that.”
For families of sick children, the Best Children’s Hospitals rankings provide quality-related information, such as survival rates, adequacy of nurse staffing, and procedure volume. Since their 2007 debut, the rankings have put an increasing emphasis on data that directly reflect the hospitals’ performance over the opinions of physicians.
This year, U.S. News surveyed 178 pediatric centers to obtain data such as availability of key resources and ability to prevent complications and infections. The hospital survey is made up of 75 percent of the rankings. A separate reputational survey in which 1,500 pediatric specialists – 150 in each specialty – were asked where they would send the sickest children in their specialty made up the remaining 25 percent.