Barberton voters defeat of a school levy on Tuesday's special election ballot will have an immediate impact when the new school year begins.
Barberton Superintendent Patricia Cleary on the Ray Horner WAKR Morning Show Wednesday said the Board Of Education is meeting today to implement several cuts.
" They will be deciding on pay to play for our athletes, and for the extracurricular activities. Also we will be cutting back our busing," said MCleary. She says the Board will vote on cutting busing back to the two mile minimum required by the state.
MCleary said the Barberton district will likely put the levy back on the ballot in November. " If we do go out for a levy in November and that also fails, then we will start cutting into curriculum for the following year. We will start eliminating arts and music programs, even more so than we've already done. And we'll probably cut back on our elementary school day, and other electives at the high school and middle school level."
Coventry School District voters have again said no to a levy and bond issue to pay for construction of a new high school and other building improvements. The bond issue would have been for 34 years.
Superintendent Russ Chaboudy, explained why he thought the bond issue and improvements levy failed. "We're tremendously disappointed , we thought we had a great campaign, and got the message out. I just think it's a sign of the economy right now. We really had no vocal opposition."
Chaboudy thinks there's another reason school levies and bond issues are not being approved right now. " I think you have a lot of people saying the way we do funding for schools has been ruled illegal, and we haven't done anything to change it, and so something has to happen," said Chaboudy.
Chaboudy said Coventry Schools have another year to get approval of the bond issue to qualify for matching state funds to build a new high school and other buildings. But there's a problem facing the board. " Our problem is we already have a renewal levy up in November, so we would have a chance in May, but there's the potential of an operating issue, so we're really stuck between a rock and a hard place. The Board's going to have to make a big decision very soon," said Chaboudy.