Friday, May 17
This is day 137 of 2013. There are 228 days remaining.
• 1792: The New York Stock Exchange was formed.
• 1846: The saxophone was patented by Adolphe Sax.
• 1875: Aristides won the first Kentucky Derby.
• 1985: Bobby Ewing died on the season finale of Dallas. He returned the following season. It was all a dream.
• 1992: Bandleader Lawrence Welk died of pneumonia at age 89. His syndicated TV show continues in reruns.
This and That
Sleeping Green...or Blue
Travelodge wanted to know how we sleep, specifically what colors the walls are and who does that affect our sleep. What they found was that people who paint their bedroom grey, brown or purple are least likely to get a full night's sleep. I thought it was best to be in the dark. Guess not. Get the story here.
Guys That Fail
How can you spot a loser? One of the 7 in this list is the Mamma's Boy. He loves her, defers to her, consults her about everything, and you will never live up to her. Or he hates her, constantly complains about her, and expects you to be the complete opposite of her. Either way, there isn’t enough room in a relationship for you, him, and the giant Shadow Of His Mother. More here.
Rod? You're not the man we knew.
“The steroids will take down the swelling in any membrane — including your, little Rodney — and it’s what you do when you’re in a bit of a pinch and need to do a show and you can’t sing.”Read more here. (or click Big Rod)
Super simple secrets for healthy, young skin.
1. They can tell which way you sleep. Sleeping on your side or stomach creates a furrow on one side of your face. To minimize wrinkles, sleep on your back.
2. If you hit the pillow every night without washing your face, every single thing you came into contact with that day is on your skin.
3. If it makes your skin feel 'squeaky clean,' it's stripping out all the moisture -- which is not a good thing.
4. Women that are losing their hair can use men's Rogain 5% minoxidil formula.
5. Store brand antiaging creams have the same active ingredients and are just as effective as the brand named stuff that costs four to 10 times as much.
On the Tube
SHARK TANK (8p ET, ABC) - Two back-to-back new episodes.
UNDERCOVER BOSS (8p ET, CBS) - Season finale.
STORAGE WARS (8p ET, A&E) - Six back-to-back reruns.
• Bill Paxton (Big Love, Twister) is 58
• Boxer Sugar Ray Leonard is 57
• Bob Saget is 57
• Sportscaster Jim Nantz is 54
• Enya is 52
• Craig Ferguson (The Late Late Show) is 51
• Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails is 48
• Hill Harper is 47
• Jordan Knight (New Kids on the Block) is 43
• Basketball player Tony Parker (formerly married to Eva Longoria) is 31
• Derek Hough (Dancing With the Stars) is 28
• Nikki Reed (Rosalie Hale in the Twilight movies) is 25
Thursday, May 16
This is day 136 of 2013. There are 229 days remaining.
• 1985: Michael Jordan was named NBA Rookie of the Year.
• 1985: Columbia Records presented a $6.5-million check to USA For Africa, royalty earned in only two months by the single "We Are the World."
• 1988: A report by United States' Surgeon General C. Everett Koop stated that the addictive properties of nicotine are similar to those of heroin and cocaine.
• 1991: Fourteen Stanford University students started leapfrogging. They stopped 10 days and 999.2 miles later with a Guinness world record.
What Getting Older means
Appreciating things that made childhood pretty cool, and for the most part remembering is the best party. So here are 15 things From childhood we’ll never get sick of. Click on the image for more.
The Really Big Apple
Apple on Wednesday passed the 50 billion App Store download mark. The company is celebrating the milestone with multiple prizes, including a $10,000 gift card awarded to the customer who downloaded the 50 billionth and 50 more $500 gift cards to the next few individuals. Apple last reported that it had hit 40 billion downloads in January of this year. That means the company saw about 10 billion downloads in just over four months, or about 78.1 million per day.
For Some of us, Three Years Too Late
Although many people LOVED this show, some of us never really got it. The last episode of The Office airs tonight. [It’ll be followed by a special hour of exit interviews.] Enjoy.
Goofy Picture of the Day
WIPEOUT (8p ET, ABC) - New. Senior Citizens, Kids and Convicts
AMERICAN IDOL (8p ET, FOX) - A winner will be announced.
THE BIG BANG THEORY (8p ET, CBS) - When Leonard receives an exciting opportunity to work overseas, Penny and Sheldon are thrown for a loop
THE OFFICE: THE OFFICE RETROSPECTIVE (8p ET, NBC) - Actors, writers and producers of the series share their experiences; inside the writers' room; audition tapes; favorite moments; a sneak peek of the series finale.
THE OFFICE (9p ET, NBC) - Series finale. Past and present Dunder Mifflin employees gather for a wedding and a final round of interviews.
GREY'S ANATOMY (9p ET, ABC) - Season finale. As the storm rages, patients are brought to the hospital by the busload and resources dwindle; a doctor's life hangs in the balance.
SCANDAL (10p ET, ABC) - Season finale. As they get closer to uncovering the mole's identity, Olivia and her team find themselves in an increasingly dangerous situation; the latest White House scandal pushes Cyrus over the edge.
Big Screen - Big Movie
Want the reviews? Will it matter? (Probably not). Let's go to the (click image) NYTimes!
• Pierce Brosnan (Mrs. Doubtfire, Thomas Crown Affair) is 60
• Former Olympic gymnast Olga Korbut is 58
• Debra Winger is 58
• Mare Winningham (St. Elmo's Fire) is 54
• Janet Jackson is 47
• David Boreanaz (Bones, Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) is 44
• Political correspondent Tucker Carlson is 44
• Tracey Gold (Growing Pains) is 44
• Hall of Fame tennis player Gabriella Sabatini is 43
• Tori Spelling is 40
• Melanie Lynskey (Rose on Two and a Half Men) is 36
• Megan Fox (Transformers) is 27
Copyright © 2013 AkronNewsNow & Rubber City Radio Group |All Rights Reserved | 1795 West Market Street | Akron, OH 44313 | 330.869.9800