Monday, March 4, 2013
The 63th day of 2013 with 302 days remaining.
Today is The Greatest Document Ever Written Day
It was on this day in 1789, in New York City, when the first U.S. Congress met and declared the new Constitution of the United States as in effect. Thought is had some omissions, like the 13th Amendment, it was a darn god start!
Today in Music
1959, The winners of the first Grammy Awards were announced. Domenico Modugno's 'Volare' was Record of the Year; Henry Mancini's 'Peter Gunn' was Album of the Year.
1966, John Lennon's statement that The Beatles were 'more popular than Jesus Christ' was published in The London Evening Standard.
1967, The Rolling Stones went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Ruby Tuesday', the group's fourth US No.1 single.
1978, The US internal Revenue Service carried out a dawn raid at the home of Jerry Lee Lewis and removed cars worth over $170,000 to pay off his tax debts.
1979, Randy Jackson of The Jackson Five was seriously injured in a car crash breaking both legs and almost died in the emergency room
1994, Kurt Cobain was rushed to hospital after overdosing on alcohol and drugs in a Rome hotel during a Nirvana European tour.
1999, Victoria 'Posh' Spice gave birth to a baby son, Brooklyn, father Manchester United Football player David Beckham greeted the media with the news.
2001, Village People singer Glenn Hughes died of lung cancer aged 50 in his Manhattan apartment in New York. He was the original "Biker" character
2004, Brian Wilson appeared at the Clyde Auditorium, Glasgow during his 11-date UK tour. The shows saw Wilson performing the full suite of songs from his unreleased masterpiece 'Smile' Wilson's 'teenage symphony to God.'
2009, Britney Spears kicked off a world tour in New Orleans, her first concert tour for five years.
Top of the Charts!
"Stagger Lee" by Lloyd Price
This and That
SciFi comes to Fashion Week in Paris!
Apparently we don't even have enough time to change clothes. Hussein Chalayan debuted his line of transforming dresses at this year's Paris Fashion Week. There's something way too cool about this fashion sense. Here they are in gif form courtesy of Errolson Hugh's twitter account.
Three sticomes strars are stuck in an elevator. No joke, it's real and while Clair (Julie Bowen) Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) and Cam (Eric Stonestreet) are standing around with 12 (mostly) strangers in Kansas City, were I there it wouldn't take long before I made some kind of remark about why couldn't Gloria have made the trip...prison pic courtesy of Eric Stonestreet's TwitPic account.
Made a comment to my friend Bob Dyer that I was in line for the iPhone implant when available. I had better watch what I wish for. Temporary electronic tattoos could soon help people fly drones with only thought and talk seemingly telepathically without speech over smartphones, researchers say. Get more here.
And it's Monday, so time for adorable Twin Baby vid. Here ya' go!
I mentioned this on 1590 WAKR last Wednesday, the last day this phenomenon can be seen, but here are some great pick of the Horsetail Falls over El Capitan, Yosemite that are illuminated by the setting sun at just the right time of year and day. Get more here!
Finally 40 Man-Rules that make sense.
Everybody has advice, and the older I get the harder it is to take. But dishing it out, that's another story all together. Here is a sample of 40 pretty good rules if you want to truly be a man:
4. When one of the big bosses at work unexpectedly says something really cheery and friendly to you, he means absolutely nothing by it. Not even if he's your father.
5. Wear as much black as you can. It makes you look slimmer and cooler. But avoid black jeans.
6. When someone in your family is going through a divorce, always side with the blood relative.
7. Pointedly praising something unusual a person owns or has done will make you appear far smarter in his eyes than a 10-minute discourse on world events.
11. Be aware that most people are operating on a very condensed version of the 10 Commandments: the part about murder.
12. There will be times when good neighbors are more important than a good neighborhood.
14. Trying to "teach someone a lesson"never works.
15. Easy on the mayo!
30. When choosing a bottle of wine to bring to a dinner party, spend between 10 and 15 dollars. That's for a bottle, not a gallon.
Get the rest here.
We never get tired of News Bloopers. Really. Never.