Craig F. Walker/The Denver Post(DENVER) -- Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper has indefinitely delayed the execution of convicted killer Nathan Dunlap, saying that he had doubts about the death penalty, much to the dismay of victims' families and a furious district attorney.The killing of four employees in a Chuck E. Cheese's in 1993 was a massacre...
Chris Maddaloni/CQ Roll Call(WASHINGTON) -- Attorney General Eric Holder has disclosed in a letter to Congress that four Americans were killed by U.S. drones in the course of the government's attacks on terrorists."Since 2009, the United States, in the conduct of U.S. counterterrorism operations against al Qaida and its associated forces outside...
Geoff Legler/Oklahoma National Guard via Getty Images(MOORE, Okla.) -- Six adults remain unaccounted for after the devastating tornado that tore through Moore, Okla., Monday, killing 24 people and destroying as many as 13,000 homes, officials said Wednesday. Authorities are working to determine whether the missing adults are buried in the rubble...
Chuck Collins - mid days 10 - 3
Program Director, Mid Day Host, 1590 WAKR. Chuck began his career in the early 70’s, part of the original cast in a Cleveland radio footnote called M105. He came to Akron in 1988. “After learning the craft, the art and honing the skill some, I wake up everyday knowing that I am one of the luckiest people on the planet: I love what I do! Keeping the flame of 1590 WAKR, a vital and historic Radio Station burning brightly is not a job, it's a privilege. Add to that I get to compile and manage a library of songs we all grew up with, well, just try to drag me out of here.” Chuck is also operations director for Rubber City Radio Group, WAKR/WQMX/WONE.
Contact Chuck by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday, May 20
This is day 140 of 2013. There are 225 days remaining.
130th anniversary of the most uniquely American apparel ever! It was in 1873 when Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis receive a U.S. patent for blue jeans with copper rivets.
This and That
Quick, who are the most boring couple in the world?
yep! Robert Pattinson & Kristen Stewart, are they broken up? Are they together? Do we care? (If you do care, you can link up here
George Michael needs life flight!
George Michael was airlifted to a hospital yesterday after reportedly sustaining a head injury in a single-car accident in England
According to the singer's rep, Michael was a passenger in a Range Rover that crashed on the M1 motorway (a huge freeway) at around 5:50 PM local time.
The rep says no vehicles were involved in the crash. It's unclear exactly what caused the collision.
A rep for the emergency response crew released a statement saying, "[George] sustained a head injury and following treatment, stabilisation and immobilization by land and air ambulance crews, he was flown to the hospital for further care."
Michael's spokesperson says the singer only suffered "superficial cuts" -- and was doing just fine.
So far, the driver of the Range Rover has not been identified. More here.
Unfortunately your browser does not support IFrames.
The Rolling Stones weren't FORCED to drastically lower ticket prices for their current concert tour due to slow sales, they CHOSE to bring the cost down ... this according to guitarist Ronnie Wood.
The story has been everywhere -- more than 1,000 seats for a recent Stones show were slashed to $85 at the last minute ... and according to reports, it was all because the concert was drastically undersold.
But on the way out of Fred Segal in L.A. yesterday, Wood insisted the move wasn't motivated by $$$ -- instead, Wood says, the band just simply "wanted" to do it ... for the fans.
You buyin' that? Check more here.
This is really not about the Tribe
Your browser does not support iframes.
Ladies and Gentlemen, YOUR Houston Astros.
Pittsburgh Pirates catcher Russell Martin was at bat in the bottom of the ninth, full count, bases loaded and with the score tie. A weak pop fly to shallow right and the game is going into…oh wait, I forgot, its the Houston Astros.
Right fielder Jimmy Paredes and second baseman Jake Elmore collide before either one of them could catch the ball. Pirates score. Game Over. Astros are now 20 games under .500. More here.
Friday, May 17
This is day 137 of 2013. There are 228 days remaining.
• 1792: The New York Stock Exchange was formed.
• 1846: The saxophone was patented by Adolphe Sax.
• 1875: Aristides won the first Kentucky Derby.
• 1985: Bobby Ewing died on the season finale of Dallas. He returned the following season. It was all a dream.
• 1992: Bandleader Lawrence Welk died of pneumonia at age 89. His syndicated TV show continues in reruns.
Sleeping Green...or Blue
Travelodge wanted to know how we sleep, specifically what colors the walls are and who does that affect our sleep. What they found was that people who paint their bedroom grey, brown or purple are least likely to get a full night's sleep. I thought it was best to be in the dark. Guess not. Get the story here.
Guys That Fail
How can you spot a loser? One of the 7 in this list is the Mamma's Boy. He loves her, defers to her, consults her about everything, and you will never live up to her. Or he hates her, constantly complains about her, and expects you to be the complete opposite of her. Either way, there isn’t enough room in a relationship for you, him, and the giant Shadow Of His Mother. More here.
Rod? You're not the man we knew.
“The steroids will take down the swelling in any membrane — including your, little Rodney — and it’s what you do when you’re in a bit of a pinch and need to do a show and you can’t sing.”Read more here. (or click Big Rod)
Super simple secrets for healthy, young skin.
1. They can tell which way you sleep. Sleeping on your side or stomach creates a furrow on one side of your face. To minimize wrinkles, sleep on your back.
2. If you hit the pillow every night without washing your face, every single thing you came into contact with that day is on your skin.
3. If it makes your skin feel 'squeaky clean,' it's stripping out all the moisture -- which is not a good thing.
4. Women that are losing their hair can use men's Rogain 5% minoxidil formula.
5. Store brand antiaging creams have the same active ingredients and are just as effective as the brand named stuff that costs four to 10 times as much.
On the Tube
SHARK TANK (8p ET, ABC) - Two back-to-back new episodes.
UNDERCOVER BOSS (8p ET, CBS) - Season finale.
STORAGE WARS (8p ET, A&E) - Six back-to-back reruns.
• Bill Paxton (Big Love, Twister) is 58
• Boxer Sugar Ray Leonard is 57
• Bob Saget is 57
• Sportscaster Jim Nantz is 54
• Enya is 52
• Craig Ferguson (The Late Late Show) is 51
• Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails is 48
• Hill Harper is 47
• Jordan Knight (New Kids on the Block) is 43
• Basketball player Tony Parker (formerly married to Eva Longoria) is 31
• Derek Hough (Dancing With the Stars) is 28
• Nikki Reed (Rosalie Hale in the Twilight movies) is 25
Thursday, May 16
This is day 136 of 2013. There are 229 days remaining.
• 1985: Michael Jordan was named NBA Rookie of the Year.
• 1985: Columbia Records presented a $6.5-million check to USA For Africa, royalty earned in only two months by the single "We Are the World."
• 1988: A report by United States' Surgeon General C. Everett Koop stated that the addictive properties of nicotine are similar to those of heroin and cocaine.
• 1991: Fourteen Stanford University students started leapfrogging. They stopped 10 days and 999.2 miles later with a Guinness world record.
What Getting Older means
Appreciating things that made childhood pretty cool, and for the most part remembering is the best party. So here are 15 things From childhood we’ll never get sick of. Click on the image for more.
The Really Big Apple
Apple on Wednesday passed the 50 billion App Store download mark. The company is celebrating the milestone with multiple prizes, including a $10,000 gift card awarded to the customer who downloaded the 50 billionth and 50 more $500 gift cards to the next few individuals. Apple last reported that it had hit 40 billion downloads in January of this year. That means the company saw about 10 billion downloads in just over four months, or about 78.1 million per day.
For Some of us, Three Years Too Late
Although many people LOVED this show, some of us never really got it. The last episode of The Office airs tonight. [It’ll be followed by a special hour of exit interviews.] Enjoy.
Goofy Picture of the Day
WIPEOUT (8p ET, ABC) - New. Senior Citizens, Kids and Convicts
AMERICAN IDOL (8p ET, FOX) - A winner will be announced.
THE BIG BANG THEORY (8p ET, CBS) - When Leonard receives an exciting opportunity to work overseas, Penny and Sheldon are thrown for a loop
THE OFFICE: THE OFFICE RETROSPECTIVE (8p ET, NBC) - Actors, writers and producers of the series share their experiences; inside the writers' room; audition tapes; favorite moments; a sneak peek of the series finale.
THE OFFICE (9p ET, NBC) - Series finale. Past and present Dunder Mifflin employees gather for a wedding and a final round of interviews.
GREY'S ANATOMY (9p ET, ABC) - Season finale. As the storm rages, patients are brought to the hospital by the busload and resources dwindle; a doctor's life hangs in the balance.
SCANDAL (10p ET, ABC) - Season finale. As they get closer to uncovering the mole's identity, Olivia and her team find themselves in an increasingly dangerous situation; the latest White House scandal pushes Cyrus over the edge.
Big Screen - Big Movie
Want the reviews? Will it matter? (Probably not). Let's go to the (click image) NYTimes!
• Pierce Brosnan (Mrs. Doubtfire, Thomas Crown Affair) is 60
• Former Olympic gymnast Olga Korbut is 58
• Debra Winger is 58
• Mare Winningham (St. Elmo's Fire) is 54
• Janet Jackson is 47
• David Boreanaz (Bones, Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) is 44
• Political correspondent Tucker Carlson is 44
• Tracey Gold (Growing Pains) is 44
• Hall of Fame tennis player Gabriella Sabatini is 43
• Tori Spelling is 40
• Melanie Lynskey (Rose on Two and a Half Men) is 36
• Megan Fox (Transformers) is 27
Tuesday, May 14
This is day 134 of 2013. There are 231 days remaining.
• 1804: The Lewis and Clark Expedition departed from Camp Dubois and began its historic journey by traveling up the Missouri River.
• 1969: The last Chevrolet Corvair rolled off the Willow Run assembly line in Ypsilanti, Michigan.
• 1973: Skylab, the United States' first space station, was launched.
• 1998: Singer Frank Sinatra died at age 82.
• 1998: The finale of Seinfeld aired on NBC, with 76 million viewers tuning in.
Tuesday-weird images day!
One of the great things about creative images is they are full of surprises. This is just one of the many images in this edition of Where Cool Things Happen. Click on the picture to see more incredible images.
...For telling fortunes better than need be...
Police in Rome arrested a street artist who performed as the late Pope John Paul II. They arrested him because he was so convincing that the police feared people would suffer shock, thinking the deceased pope had come back.
What's Next? A Charlie Burger?
A Cleveland tattoo artist said he found a taker for his offer to give a free tattoo of local hero Charles Ramsey's face. Rodney Rose, tattoo artist at 252 Tattoo, said he became a fan of Ramsey when the man became a hero for hearing a scream and kicking down a door that allowed kidnapping victims Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight to escape. Ramsey became an online celebrity with a video of the man using colorful language to recall the events. Rose announced on Facebook he would do a free tattoo of Ramsey's face to interested customers. Friend and fellow tattoo artist Stephen Munhollon took him up on the offer.
Somehow I don' think she will lose on this deal
Biggest Loser trainer Jillian Michaels has listed her Hollywood Hills pad for $2.45 million. The fitness guru is most likely looking for more room for her growing family, which now includes adopted daughter Lukensia, 3, and son 1-year-old son, Phoenix. See related in Bits & Breaks.
I Don't think this is what they mean by Iron Chef
Robert Downey Jr. is teaming up once more with Iron Man director Jon Favreau for an indie comedy called Chef. Favreau will direct and star in Chef, alongside Downey Jr., Bobby Cannavale, Sofia Vergara, and John Leguizamo. Based on Favreau's script, the movie will reportedly follow "a man who loses his chef job and starts up a food truck to reclaim his artistic promise and reclaiming his estranged family."
On the Tube - Not much happening
NCIS (8p ET, CBS) - Season Finale. The season finale of NCIS: Los Angeles follows.
THE VOICE (8p ET, NBC) - 2 hours. A recap of the top 12 performances, followed by live eliminations.
SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE (8p ET, FOX) - Season premiere.
DANCING WITH THE STARS (9p ET, ABC) - The couples face elimination; The Wanted and Avril Lavigne perform.
STORAGE WARS (9p ET, A&E) - Two new back-to-back episodes.
• Movie producer George Lucas (Star Wars films) is 69
• Musician David Byrne (Talking Heads) is 61
• Director Robert Zemeckis (Romancing the Stone, Back to the Future series, Cast Away, The Polar Express) is 61
• Actor Tim Roth (Pulp Fiction, The Incredible Hulk, TV's Lie To Me) is 52
• Guitarist C.C. DeVille (Poison) is 51
• Disgraced singer Fab Morvan (Milli Vanilli) is 47
• Actress Cate Blanchett (Robin Hood 2010, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, upcoming Hobbit movies) is 44
• Singer Danny Wood (New Kids on the Block) is 44
• Director Sofia Coppola (The Virgin Suicides, Lost in Translation) is 42
• Actress Amber Tamblyn (Joan of Arcadia) is 30
• Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is 29
• Actress Miranda Cosgrove (Drake & Josh, iCarly) is 20
Friday, May 10
The 130th Day of 2013 with 235 days remaining
Military Spouses Day. Always the Friday before Mother's Day.
Clean up Your Room Day.
is Liver and Onions Day.
No Place Like Home...Seriously
Anybody got $18,000,000.00 they can lend me for this very cool place in New York City. The jaw-dropping 6,813 square feet penthouse offers you a 360 degrees view of the city, overlooking the Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan. Its signature feature, however, are the four massive clocks, installed in 14-foot-high round windows on each wall. Here is the whole view.
You know that annoying habit where someone keeps whipping out their phone to photograph the food they're eating? It might not just be an incessant need to brag about their burrata-heirloom tomato salad. It might be an actual disease. Researcher Valerie Taylor spoke at the Canadian Obesity Summit this week and noted that, nowadays, she's finding plenty of patients who are fetishizing food, where it overtakes human interaction. Taylor said, "For some people who have the predisposition for weight behaviors, it just goes that one step further, and they start to develop unhealthy weight disorders and they start to have weight problems."
That;s Not the only Lie...What About Sir Ben Kingsley?
The city of Chattanooga is not happy that it's depicted in Iron Man 3 as having poor Internet service. The Tennessee town issued a statement, which says: "In 2010, Chattanooga surprised America becoming the first American city to have a community-wide 'Gig' fiber network offering up to 1-gigabit-per-second Internet and broadband service, with its network covering the entire 600-square-mile area and every 150,000-plus homes."
... In the movie, Iron Man seems desperate to escape Chattanooga in order to get better Wi-Fi. The also said Sir Ben was a villain in the movie. Yeah, for about 35 seconds.
UNDERCOVER BOSS (8p ET, CBS) -- This new edition features employees from past episodes as they discuss how the show has impacted their lives.
SEASON FINALE: FASHION STAR (8p ET, NBC) -- The final three contestants design a collection for each of the retailers and the winner is chosen. The show has not yet been renewed for another season.
SHARK TANK (8p ET, ABC) -- Repeat
SEASON FINALE: KITCHEN NIGHTMARES (8p ET, FOX) -- Chef Ramsay heads to Scottsdale, AZ, to visit Amy’s Baking Company.
NIKITA (8p ET, CW) -- New
DATELINE (9p ET, NBC) -- New
SEASON FINALE: VEGAS (9p ET, CBS) -- Michael Ironside guest stars in the first season finale. Vegas has not yet been renewed for a second season.
SHARK TANK (9p ET, ABC) -- New
SEASON FINALE: TOUCH (9p ET, FOX) -- Frances Fisher (Titanic) and D.B. Sweeney (24) guest star in the 2nd season finale. Touch has not yet been renewed for another season.
SEASON FINALE: BLUE BLOODS (10p ET, CBS) -- Blue Bloods closes out its third season tonight. It will be back for a fourth.
20/20 (10p ET, ABC) -- New
ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (10p ET, NBC) -- New
NEW ON DVD THIS WEEKEND
• Sportscaster Chris Berman is 58
• Bono of U2 is 53
• Model Linda Evangelista is 48
• Actor Erik Palladino (Dr. Dave Malucci on ER) is 45
• Todd Lowe (True Blood, Gilmore Girls) is 41
• Race car driver/dancer Hélio Castroneves (Dancing with the Stars season 5 winner) is 38
• Kenan Thompson (Saturday Night Live, Kenan and Kel) is 35
• Lauren Potter (Glee) is 23
Thursday, May 9
The 129th Day of 2013 with 236 days remaining
Casual Dining in America
Fried chicken is the most popular meal ordered in sit-down restaurants in the US. The next in popularity are: roast beef, spaghetti, turkey, baked ham, and fried shrimp. What? No pork rind and peanut butter sandwich?
Speaking of Eating
Gov. Chris Cristi is the latest to make the news, trying to drop a few pounds for family and party. Now word is even if he loses the more than 150 pounds he may need to, there's a better than 65% chance that the weight will be back inside onf a year. Even celebrated biggest losers are working against the odds. Here's more. But don't get too discouraged, one sure way to stay heavy is to quit trying. Click on Jared for more pics.
We should all be so lucky!
At the turn of the Century, the owner of a small Dutch tobacco shop won $4.1 million in the lottery by mistake. Having accidentally printed up more tickets than he could sell, he was forced, by law, to buy the remainder himself. One of the extra tickets was a big winner.
THE BIG BANG THEORY (8p ET, CBS) -- New
AMERICAN IDOL (8p ET, FOX) -- Alicia Keys and Lauren Alaina perform on tonight’s results show.
SEASON PREMIERE: WIPEOUT (8p ET, ABC) -- Wipeout is back for its usual summer run.
SEASON FINALE: COMMUNITY (8p ET, NBC) -- Community finishes its fourth season tonight. It has not yet been renewed for 5th season.
THE VAMPIRE DIARIES (8p ET, CW) -- New
SEASON FINALE: TWO AND A HALF MEN (8:30p ET, CBS) -- Hilary Duff and Marilu Henner guest star in the 10th season finale. The show will return in the fall.
THE OFFICE (8:30p ET, NBC) -- Repeat
SEASON FINALE: PERSON OF INTEREST (9p ET, CBS) -- The second season comes to a close tonight. The show will return for a 3rd season.
GREY’S ANATOMY (9p ET, ABC) -- New
THE OFFICE (9p ET, NBC) -- Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rogers, American Idol star Clay Aiken, and singer Mark McGrath guest star in this new episode.
SEASON FINALE: GLEE (9p ET, FOX) -- Season 12 American Idol Runner-Up Jessica Sanchez makes an appearance in the 4th season finale. Glee will be back for a 5th season.
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (9p ET, CW) -- New
ELEMENTARY (10p ET, CBS) -- Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones, The Tudors) guest stars in this new episode.
SCANDAL (10p ET, ABC) -- New
HANNIBAL (10p ET, NBC) -- New
• Albert Finney (Big Fish, Murder on the Orient Express) is 77
• Canadian actress-turned-politician Glenda Jackson (two Academy Awards for Best Actress: Women in Love and A Touch of Class) is 77
• Producer/director James L. Brooks (Mary Tyler Moore Show, Terms of Endearment) is 73
• Candice Bergen (Murphy Brown) is 67
• Rock Hall of Famer Billy Joel is 64
• Alley Mills (the mom on The Wonder Years) is 62
• John Corbett (Northern Exposure, My Big Fat Greek Wedding) is 52
• Rosario Dawson (Sin City) is 34
• Audrina Patridge (The Hills, Sorority Row, Dancing With the Stars) is 28
Wednesday, May 8
The 128th Day of 2013 with 237 days remaining
In 1976, ABBA scored their third UK No.1 single with this song, the song went on to become ABBA's biggest selling hit, with sales over 10 million. And also on day Abba started a nine-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with their 'Greatest Hits' album.
"Fernando" by ABBA
You are the first name in computers, but you wake up one morning and find that fewer and fewer people are using computers. Smartphones and tablet computers are everywhere, and most of them are made by the company you though you had knocked off 15 years ago. Surprise! Apple, Google and who knows who is next are all cutting into your empire. So you change everything. Only nobody like it! What! See what Microsoft will do now. is also benefiting from Android's popularity through increased traffic to its services, creating more opportunities for the company to display ads.
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-fixing-windows-8-2013-5#ixzz2SerqrZoc
His Name is What?
Ever wonder what some of your favorite country stars' names really are? We do, don't know why but we sought it out. Here they are and the truth will set you free! Troyal, really? Check them out here.
Clevelander Charles Ramsey is da MAN! This accidental hero stepped in and helped Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, and Michelle King finally break free from the horror of a decade-long kidnapping. And McDonald’s has latched on to the story after hearing Charles' version of events. As he explained it, he stepped into action after hearing Berry while enjoying a meal from Micky-D's. McDonald’s, sensing an opportunity to capitalize further on the story, sent a tweet to Ramsey:
The tweet came from McDonald’s corporate account, not the restaurant account. The corporate office is where decisions like advertising and marketing are made. It sounds like Charles is going to have a spokesperson job coming to him. Or maybe McDonald's for life. My thoughts: leave a tender moment alone.
Helpful Hint ofThe Day
Having a baby? A survey of expectant mothers indicates dads should be prepared to give Mother's Day gifts this weekend. In the survey of first-time pregnant women, 60% said they expected Mother's Day gifts. However, about six in 10 dads questioned in the survey said they did not realize their partners were expecting Mother's Day gifts while pregnant.
Okay, I know it's a commercial, but it's so darn cool
AMERICAN IDOL (8p ET, FOX) -- The final three visit their hometowns and perform in tonight’s new edition.
SURVIVOR CARAMOAN: FANS VS. FAVORITES (8p ET, CBS) -- New. The season finale is this Sunday.
THE MIDDLE (8p ET, ABC) -- New
THE VOICE (8p ET, NBC) -- Rod Stewart and Cee Lo Green perform on tonight’s results show.
ARROW (8p ET, CW) -- New
FAMILY TOOLS (8:30p ET, ABC) -- New
CRIMINAL MINDS (9p ET, CBS) -- New
LAW & ORDER: SVU (9p ET, NBC) -- Kathryn Erbe (Law & Order: Criminal Intent) guest stars in this new episode.
MODERN FAMILY (9p ET, ABC) -- New
SUPERNATURAL (9p ET, CW) -- New
HOW TO LIVE WITH YOUR PARENTS (FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE) (9:30p ET, ABC) -- New
CSI: (10p ET, CBS) -- New
NASHVILLE (10p ET, ABC) -- New
CHICAGO FIRE (10p ET, NBC) -- New
PSYCH (10p ET, USA) -- New
Who's On Top?
Week of April 29-May 5
1. NCIS, CBS, 18.29 million
2. The Big Bang Theory, CBS, 16.29 million
3. Dancing With the Stars, ABC, 13.45 million
4. NCIS: Los Angeles, CBS, 13.07 million
5. Person of Interest, CBS, 12.96 million
6. The Voice (Monday), NBC, 12.67 million
7. Two and a Half Men, CBS, 12.12 million
8. The Voice (Tuesday), NBC, 11.84 million
9. American Idol (Thursday), Fox, 11.27 million
10. American Idol (Wednesday), Fox, 11.26 million
11. Dancing With the Stars Results, ABC, 10.89 million
12. 60 Minutes, CBS, 10.71 million
13. Castle, ABC, 10.53 million
14. Criminal Minds, CBS, 10.13 million
15. Blue Bloods, CBS, 10.02 million
16. Elementary, CBS, 9.75 million
17. Modern Family, ABC, 9.64 million
18. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, CBS, 9.49 million
19. Survivor: Caramoan, CBS, 9.25 million
20. The Mentalist, CBS, 9.17 million
• Comedian Don Rickles is 87
• Toni Tennille is 73
• Singer Gary Glitter is 69
• Philip Bailey (solo and with Earth, Wind and Fire) is 62
• Drummer Alex Van Halen is 60
• Stephen Furst (St. Elsewhere, Animal House) is 59
• David Keith (An Officer and a Gentleman) is 59
• Melissa Gilbert is 49
• Enrique Iglesias is 38
Monday May 6
This is day 126 of 2013. There are 239 days remaining.
In 1965 the Stones were in session, and like most Stones sessions it was as much play as work especially for the already troubled Keith Richards. The guitarist fell asleep while improvising with a new instrument. The next morning he couldn’t remember the riffs, but the Stones most famous song had been preserved on a tape recorder.
"Satisfaction" by Rolling Stones
Solid Gold Tweets
Billionaire investor Warren Buffett took just 25 characters to announce himself on Twitter Thursday. His first tweet: "Warren is in the house." His second tweet plugged his new essay on why women are key to America's prosperity.
Warren's also raised the collective net worth of the Twitterverse considerably, becoming the second-wealthiest verified account holder behind Bill Gates. Carlos Slim, the world’s wealthiest man, isn’t on Twitter yet.
Top 25 People Who Changed the Internet Forever ---
1. Sir Tim Berners-Lee – World Wide Web
2. Vint Cerf And Bob Kahn – TCP/IP
3. Larry Page and Sergey Brin – Google Inc.
4. David Filo and Jerry Yang – Yahoo! Inc.
5. Bill Gates – Microsoft
6. Steven Paul Jobs – Apple Inc.
7. Mark Zuckerberg – Facebook
8. Chad Hurley and Steve Chen – YouTube
9. Linus Torvalds – Linux
10. Jack Dorsey – Twitter
11. Kevin Rose – Digg
12. Bram Cohen – BitTorrent
13. Mike Morhaime – Blizzard Entertainment
14. Jimmy Wales – Wikipedia
15. Jeff Preston Bezos – Amazon
16. Shawn Fanning – Napster, Rupture
17. Pierre Omidyar – eBay
18. Jack Ma – Alibaba
19. Craig Newmark – Craigslist
20. Matt Mullenweg – WordPress
21. Thomas Anderson – MySpace
22. Garrett Camp – StumbleUpon
23. Jon Postel – Internet Pioneer
24. Caterina Fake – Flickr
25. Marc Andreessen – Netscape
THE VOICE (8p ET, NBC) -- The live performances begin as the top 16 perform for America’s vote.
DANCING WITH THE STARS (8p ET, ABC) -- The remaining couples will perform two routines in this new edition.
HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER (8p ET, CBS) -- Ray Wise guest stars in this new episode.
RIHANNA 777 (8p ET, FOX) -- In this special, singer Rihanna takes a 777 jet full of fans and journalists along as she performs seven concerts in seven countries over seven days.
OH SIT! (8p ET, CW) -- 7Lions perform in this new edition.
RULES OF ENGAGEMENT (8:30p ET, CBS) -- New
2 BROKE GIRLS (9p ET, CBS) -- New
BONES (9p ET, FOX) -- Repeat
90210 (9p ET, CW) -- New
MIKE & MOLLY (9:30p ET, CBS) -- New
HAWAII FIVE-O (10p ET, CBS) -- Mare Winningham guest stars in this new episode.
CASTLE (10p ET, ABC) -- Catherine Dent (The Shield, The Mentalist) and Carlos Bernard (24, Dallas) guest star in this new episode.
REVOLUTION (10p ET, NBC) -- New
TOP TEN MOVIES
... One year ago this week the number one movie was The Avengers.
... Five years ago this week the number one movie was Iron Man.
... Ten years ago this week the number one movie was Spider-Man.
... Twenty years ago this week the number one movie was Indecent Proposal.
• Baseball's Willie Mays is 82
• Rubin "Hurricane" Carter is 76 - Carter's story inspired the 1999 film The Hurricane, starring Denzel Washington.
• Bob Seger is 68
• Jimmie Dale Gilmore is 68
• Alan Dale (Lost, Ugly Betty) is 66
• Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair is 60
• Lynn Whitfield (The Josephine Baker Story, Madea's Family Reunion) is 60
• TV host Tom Bergeron (Dancing with the Stars) is 58
• Roma Downey is 53
• George Clooney is 52
• Dancer Edyta Sliwinska (was on Dancing with the Stars) is 32
• Adrianne Palicki (Friday Night Lights, Red Dawn) is 30
• Gabourey Sidibe (Precious) is 30
Friday May 3
This is day 123 of 2013. There are 242 days remaining.
This title song from the Eagles' album was released as a single in February 1977. It is one of the best-known songs of the album-oriented rock era. Writing credits for the song are shared by Don Felder, Don Henley, and Glenn Frey. The Eagles' original recording of the song features Henley singing the lead vocals and concludes with an extended section of electric guitar interplay between Felder and Joe Walsh. The song has been given several interpretations by fans and critics alike, but the Eagles have described it as their "interpretation of the high life in Los Angeles". It went #1 on this date in 1977
"Hotel California" by Eagles
Sweet, sweet Summertime
We're getting close to your 'sexy' time of year, ladies. A survey found women feel their sexiest during the summer months. The happiest time of year for 83% of women is between June and August. Sunshine is being credited for bringing out the smiles.
Let's Meet at Macs!
A new study found that McDonald's is the leading business in the United States. The study (from Placed) found that McDonald's, Walmart, and Subway are the three most-visited businesses in the United States for Americans 14 or older. McDonald's received 49 percent of visitors, Walmart received 38.8 percent of the visitors polled, and Subway got 37.8 percent. Burger King had 24.3 percent, Starbucks 23.9 percent, and Wendy's 22.8 percent. Walgreens and CVS ranked seven and eight, respectively.
Does that include Ketchup?
A elementary school in New York City has become the first public school in the city to go completely vegetarian. It is not clear if parents are making a stand or not.
UNDERCOVER BOSS (8p ET, CBS) -- Rollins, Inc., President John Wilson goes undercover in this new edition.
SEASON FINALE: HAPPY ENDINGS (8p ET, ABC) -- Michael McKean and Megan Mullally guest star in the first episode, while Stephanie March (Law & Order: SVU) guest stars in the second as Happy Endings wraps up its 3rd season.
FASHION STAR (8p ET, NBC) -- New
KITCHEN NIGHTMARES (8p ET, FOX) -- Chef Ramsay heads to Chappy's, a Cajun-style restaurant in the heart of Nashville in this new edition.
NIKITA (8p ET, CW) -- New
DATELINE (9p ET, NBC) -- New
VEGAS (9p ET, CBS) -- Michael Ironside (Top Gun) and Melinda Clarke (Nikita) guest star in this new episode.
SHARK TANK (9p ET, ABC) -- New
TOUCH (9p ET, FOX) -- D.B. Sweeney (24) guest stars in this new episode.
BLUE BLOODS (10p ET, CBS) -- New
20/20 (10p ET, ABC) -- New
ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (10p ET, NBC) -- New
IRON MAN 3 (PG-13) score/reviews
NEW ON DVD THIS WEEKEND
Honest Iron Man
• Folk singer Pete Seeger is 94
• Ann B. Davis (housekeeper Alice on The Brady Bunch) is 87
• Actor/film historian/TV host Robert Osborne (Turner Classic Movies, The Movie Channel) is 81
• Singer Frankie Valli is 79
• Inventor Ron Popeil is 78
• Sports announcer Greg Gumbel is 67
• Dule Hill (Psych, The West Wing) is 38
• Actress Christina Hendricks (Mad Men) is 38
• Dancer Cheryl Burke (Dancing With the Stars) is 29
• Celebrinot Levi Johnston (former fiancé of Bristol Palin) is 23
Thursday May 2
This is day 122 of 2013. There are 243 days remaining.
It was this day 1939, Not hitting well and feeling bad, Ironman Lou Gehrig took himself out of the Yankee line-up after playing 2,130 consecutive games. The Yankees destroyed Detroit 22-2, and Gehrig never played baseball again.
Jagger, Richards and Jones with Stewart and Dick Taylor on bass billed as "the Rollin' Stones" played their first gig in July 1962 at the Marquee Club. Their material included the Chicago blues as well Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley songs. Bassist Bill Wyman joined in December 1962 and drummer Charlie Watts the following January 1963 to form the band's long-standing rhythm section. But it was on this day In 1964 The Rolling Stones appeared on U.S. charts for the first time this Blues anthem
"Not Fade Away" by The Rolling Stones
Where did All That Money Go?
Money Myths that cost us plenty!
Myth #1: Renting is like throwing away money. This one comes from two angles: The fact that you can deduct the mortgage interest on your taxes, and the idea that homes always go up in value. In reality, the deduction offsets just a fraction of the amount you pay in interest each year and, real estate is like any other investment - it can go up or down.
Myth #2: It takes money to make money. The days when you needed a pile of cash to invest are long gone. Some savings accounts can be opened with just a dollar and you can buy as little as one share of stock at some online brokerage firms.
Myth #3: Carrying a balance on credit cards improves your credit rating. This is just plain false. In fact, the only thing it does is take money out of your pocket and give it to the credit card companies. If you want to improve your credit score, pay off your balance in full and on time every month.
One Day Old and Growing
It’s hard to imagine a world without Facebook, Twitter, YouTube videos and email. But it really wasn’t THAT many years ago that if we were to talk about tweeting something, people would look at us like we’re insane. As we can see, there’s a first time for everything.
The first email was sent by Ray Tomlinson to himself in 1971. He said, "The test messages were entirely forgettable. Most likely the first message was QWERTYIOP or something similar."
The first domain name ever registered was Symbolics.com on March 15, 1985. Keep in mind, there was no Internet to speak of in 1985; so who visited this site is a mystery.
The first website was dedicated to information about the World Wide Web and went live on August 6, 1991. It was basically an information site about the Internet.
The first picture ever uploaded on the web was posted by Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web, on behalf of a comedy band called Les Horrible Cernettes. Four women gawking at the camera. Some things never change.
The first AOL Instant Message was sent by Ted Leonsis to his wife on January 6, 1993. It read, "Don't be scared ... it is me. Love you and miss you." His wife replied, "Wow ... this is so cool!"
Joe McCambley ran the first banner ad ever online. It went live in October 1994 on HotWired.com and it promoted 7 art museums, sponsored by AT&T.
The first item sold on eBay (back then it was AuctionWeb) was a broken laser pointer for $14.83 in 1995. The man who bought it told founder Pierre Omidyar he collected broken laser pointers.
The first book purchased on Amazon was Douglas Hofstadter's Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies: Computer Models of the Fundamental Mechanisms of Thought in 1995. A new copy sold for $19.19; or you could get a used copy for $10.15.
The first sentence uttered on Skype was in Estonian in April 2003 by a member of the development team. It was 'Tere, kas sa kuuled mind?' or "Hello, can you hear me?" in English.
Mark Zuckerberg was the first person on Facebook with ID number 4. (The first three Facebook accounts were used for testing.) The first non-founder to join Facebook was Arie Hasit, who is now in Israel studying to be a rabbi.
The first YouTube video posted was posted by co-founder Jawed Karim at the San Diego Zoo. It was uploaded on April 23, 2005 and has been watched nearly 10 million times.
The first tweet was written by co-founder Jack Dorsey on March 21, 2006. The line read: Just setting up my twttr.
• Singer Engelbert Humperdinck is 77
• Actress/model Bianca Jagger is 68
• Actress Christine Baranski (The Good Wife, The Bounty Hunter, Cybill) is 61
• Fashion designer Donatella Versace is 58
• Actor Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is 41
• Soccer celebrity David Beckham is 38
• Actress Jenna Von Oy (Blossom, The Parkers) is 36
• NASCAR driver Kyle Busch is 28
• Olympic gold medalist figure skater Sarah Hughes is 28
Copyright © 2013 AkronNewsNow & Rubber City Radio Group |All Rights Reserved | 1795 West Market Street | Akron, OH 44313 | 330.869.9800